HIV: Am I having early symptoms?

Patient: Hi, About 4 weeks ago , i had protected vaginal intercourse with a sex worker .However, i also spent a few seconds doing oral on her- which i now realise was stupid. i had blood tests done and got results today with negative result. Today i feel slight sore throat and im anxious about this as im aware its a symtom of early hiv. Please advise me what to do

Doctor: Many people do not develop symptoms after they first get infected with HIV. Others have a flu-like illness within severa l days to weeks after the exposure to the virus. They can complain of fever, headache, tiredness, and enlarged lymph nodes in the neck. These symptoms usually disappear within a few weeks. After that, the person feels normal and has no symptoms. This asymptomatic phase often lasts for years. The progression of disease is different among individuals. This state may last from a few months to more than 10 years. Even though the person has no symptoms, he or she is contagious and can pass HIV to others.It is not likely that the symptoms that you described could be due to HIV infection, you got tested and your result was negative, but if you are still in doubt, because you were engaged in high risk behaviors in the past, you can get a more specific test called: Western blot, which is done to confirm the results.