HIV, parenting and pregnancy question

Patient

Q: Hello Doctor, in the past i have had intercourse with a few women without protection Its been a really long time since i have got tested. I have been married now and currently my wife is 3 months pregnant. Her tests results came out yesterday and it was HIV negative. Now my concern is, im not sure if i am HIV positive and im very scared to test. Now tht my wife is Negative, is there a chance of the baby being HIV positive assuming im possitive.

Doctor

A:   HIV is transmitted when the virus enters the body, usually by injecting infected (needle stick) cells or semen. There are several possible ways in which the virus can enter: Most commonly, HIV infection is spread by having sex with an infected partner and the virus can enter the body through the lining of the vagina, vulva, penis, rectum, or mouth during sex. HIV frequently spreads among injection-drug users who share needles or syringes that are contaminated with blood from an infected person. Women can transmit HIV to their babies during pregnancy or birth, when infected maternal cells enter the baby's circulation. If your wife tests are negative then the baby is safe, but if you are worried or in doubt, just to have peace of mind I suggest that you get tested again.