x
84 Physicians Online

Question:

HIV transmission via contact with blood

I went to the supermarket this morning and when I took the change that the cashier handed me, I got into contact with his undried blood on my hand. The blood got onto my nail and cuticle. Although I had no visual cuts, what are the chances of me getting HIV if he were HIV-positive? I am so worried...

Answer:

The chances are there if the person is HIV positive and you have an opening on your skin as well. I always suggest being extra cautious and going and getting tested, even though the chances sound very slim from what you have described.

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Sign In to join in the conversation.