x
192 Physicians Online

Question:

HIV transmission via contact with blood

I went to the supermarket this morning and when I took the change that the cashier handed me, I got into contact with his undried blood on my hand. The blood got onto my nail and cuticle. Although I had no visual cuts, what are the chances of me getting HIV if he were HIV-positive? I am so worried...

Answer:

The chances are there if the person is HIV positive and you have an opening on your skin as well. I always suggest being extra cautious and going and getting tested, even though the chances sound very slim from what you have described.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA