Home Pregnancy Tests: Accuracy and Timing

Patient : I missed my period since 3 months had an pregnancy test came negative
Doctor :   Home pregnancy test kits are not 100% accurate. If you have had regular periods and you think this is unusual, I think i t will be best to go to your doctor and request for a blood pregnancy test or better yet an ultrasound. Ultrasound is the only confirmatory test for pregnancy. Besides, if it has been 3 months (12 weeks) already, chances are the hormones that will be detected by a pregnancy test kit are lower as compared to early pregnancy. This hormone, B-hCG, usually peaks at 5-6 weeks of pregnancy then starts to decrease at 10-12 weeks. Besides, the best time to do a home test kit is in the morning (first morning urine upon waking up) because the hormones are at its highest concentration in the urine. I do hope I have answered your question. Take care always.