Home Surgery ear shrapnel removal

Patient

Q: Hello
im a 22 year old male and in late october of 2013 i was working at a haunted house and was shot with a 'blank' from a 12 gauge shotgun
this 'blank' cut the inside of my ear(not deep inside my ear but visible from just looking at me) open a little and left a small piece missing above my earlobe. it gave me cauliflower ear as well as a small white bump on the backside

it also shot a piece of what at the time looked like a walnut logged in my side

now its been a year and a few months and i noticed the bump on the backside of my ear is now what looks to me blue (others say grey) and is a lot bigger i believe it is shrapnel from the shot i could be wrong i guess

my question is what would the risk be of removing this myself and could it be something else other than a piece of metal in my ear
note its starting to hurt/bug me

Symptoms:  Ear messed up
Doctor