Home treatment for draining fluid in ear

Patient : I've had a plugged right ear for a week, how do I unplug it?
Symptoms:  Ear is plugged.
Doctor :   Thank you for your question. The best way to have this treated is to go to your doctors office and have your ear examine d first. If the ear is obstructed with impacted ear wax, it can easily be irrigated with water using a special syringe. If this clogged ear is due to fluid behind the ear drum, then this may require the use of antihistamine medications to allow this fluid to effectively drain through the eustachian tubes into your oropharynx. Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com

Related Q&A

Q: About a month ago I was given a clinical diagnosis of having the flu (the kid I nanny tested positive and a few days ...

Q: Cold with fever continously for 3 year old from past one month.if she is on antibiotics no fever she is good.once ant...

Q: Hi, My husband has been diagnosed with Q fever, Ross river fever and glandular fever. He has been prescribed doxycyc...

Q: I got a flu shot 2 days ago, woke up last night with legs uncontrollably shaking and severe ache in opposite arm of i...

Q: I'm 30 years old with fever and cough. Also a runny nose for the last few days. what should I take?


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon