Home treatments for abscess

Patient

Q: Is there a good home treatment for a recurring abscess?

Symptoms:  Swelling of bump under skin, pain, tender to the touch
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. An abscess is an infected and inflamed tender area of the skin that is observed as red/pink in colour, and can be pus filled, or bleeds. Abscess are infected with bacteria which generally need to be treated with oral antibiotics and possible draining of the abscess by having a doctor make a small incision in it to assist in the drainage of the pus. We do no recommend using any home treatments or trying to do this on your own as this may not be sterile and you can potential make this infection worse. We recommend going to an urgent care clinic or primary care doctor to have this treated.

Thank you for choosing Asktehdoctor.com