Homemade tattoo and possible infection

Patient

Q: I gave myself a tattoo using ink from a pen and needles. A week later it is red, feels tight and is quite sore. I think it is infected, if it is infected what should i do to help it heal and fight the infection?

Doctor

A:   You need to take some antibiotics for the control of infection. You may see your doctor for an assessment of severity of infection and prescription of specific antibiotics. You may use an antiseptic solution to keep the area clean and if required your doctor may also prescribe some antibiotic ointment for application.