Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Honeycomb bump on back

Honeycomb bump on back

Patient: I have a small lump on my back that has a honeycomb like patter it feel sore and hurts when I put pressure on it what could this be???

Doctor: Thank you for your question. It is likely that this lump could be a sebaceous cyst. Sebaceous cysts form due to clogged sebaceous glands which can become enlarged with a purulent exudate (pus) and eventually become infected. This can eventually lead to the help formation of a draining absecess which can be very painful. At this point your cyst is not severely infected but may become so quite soon. For this reason, we recommend that you have your doctor examined it. It will likely have to be surgically excised and treated with oral antibiotics.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com