x
71 Physicians Online

Question:

Hoping for a pregnancy

Hello, looking for some advice as to when I should seek attention from my doctor. The first day of my last period was May 31. According to an ovulation calendar I was fertile from June 10-June 13 with ovulation occuring on the 13th. My boyfriend and I had unprotected sex 3 times during that weekend - including once on June 13. My expected period is to come June 28. My boyfriend wants me to schedule a Dr.'s appointment for a blood test as soon as possible, but I am wondering when the best time is. (we have tried home tests in the past months, gotten positive results but then my period comes....so we don't want to do at home tests anymore) We have been trying for a few months now and really don't want another let down. It's the 18th today - do you advise I wait until the first day after my expected period to schedule a blood test or would there be enough hormones in my blood to tell if I had the test sometime next week (June 21-25)?

Answer:

Hello, I understand your concern about possible pregnancy. In my opinion, I would suggest you to wait a week after your menses due date. This would be the best time to rule out possible pregnancy, the pregnancy hormone know as HCG subunit Beta would increase in great quantity and would decrease the possibility of False negative results. I wish you a successful pregnancy.

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Sign In to join in the conversation.