Hormone imbalance externally?

Q: I have extremely oily skin and oily scalp since puberty. Also have hair loss spreading around my crown. Sometimes, I would have a couple of visible hair on my chin, which i have to pluck out with tweezers. I've tried taking roccutane, oral contraceptives for a few months (individually)...then Aldactone for around 2 years. However, my conditions have not improved. I once did an ultrasound and the gynae found that I had ovarian cysts. I visited an endocrinologist and had some blood tests done for hormone imbalance, but the blood test results proved my hormones to be normal. The endocrinologist suggested that I might have hormone imbalance on the surface (my skin) instead of internally. Is there such a thing? Any advise on what is going wrong with me? And what I can do to reduce the sebum production? Using different kinds of medical skincare also does not seem to help. I am also having pimples on my jaw now. Thank you

Symptoms:  Extremely oily skin and scalp; Pimples on jaw; A couple of hair on the chin sometimes; Hair loss spreading around the crown area.

A:   Thank you for your question

The description you describe has similarities to polycystic ovarian syndrome if your ultrasound showed multiple cysts and not just one.

This is a condition of hormonal and metabolic imbalance that usually corresponds with abnormalities in the bloodwork but in milder cases, it is possible to have the symptoms only and bloodwork be within the normal range.

You have been put on a trial of the most common medications used to treat polycystic ovarian syndrome. As such, there are only 2 options remaining:

1: a trial of metformin in low doses
2: a trial of naturopathic treatment as directed by a naturopathic doctor.

Your PCP would best be able to suggest which of the options to pursue.