Q: Im getting a hormone imbalance test for weight gain but i want to lose weight before the test but i dont want my hormones o change to good or else i will never know what i believe is wrong, will it change the hormones if i exercise? im 18 by the way i did a hormone test about 7 months ago had high prolactin thats all they told me thru the phone but i wanted to know whats up with other hormones. will loseing weight change my hormoes in any way?

Symptoms:  Breast enlargment

A:   Thank you for your question. From your description it is unclear why your hormone testing was conducted. However, we will try to answer your specific question on if losing weight will change your hormone profile. It is possible for your levels of specific hormones to change with exercise, such as testosterone or estrogen.
It is important to note that fat, known as adipose tissue in medicine, is actually a functioning organ. Besides providing insulation and a source of fuel in times of starvation, adipose tissue also has endocrine function as well. In fact, adipose tissue has been shown to produce hormones such as estrogen, leptin, resistin, and TNF-alpha. Depending on what hormones are being tested for in your blood test, these may be affected by changes in your body fat and body weight.

Thank you for choosing askthedoctor.com