Hormones level 4500 and no sight of baby in ultrasound

Patient

Q: My wife is pregnant and we are 5 weeks and 2 days. We went to the doctor today and she told us that her hormone level was 4500 and we should be able to see the baby in a ultrasound. but we were unable to see the baby but the sac was there. she kind of scared us saying that there might not be a baby in the sac. I wanted to know if its to soon to see the baby and if the levels were to high.

Doctor

Thanks for the query to askthedoctor.com
If the beta hcg levels are still just 4500 and the period of gestation is 5 weeks +2 days calculated from last menstrual period , then it is still early for a metal pole to be seen. The fetal pole is usually evident after the hcg levels have crossed 6000, which they should after 48hrs as the levels double in every 48 hrs in a viable pregnancy.
So it is suggested that you may wait for a week and repeat the transvaginal ultrasound again for reevaluating the status of the fetal pole inside the gestational sac. Also , if still no metal pole is seen after a week between 6 -7 weeks , then the beta hcg levels have to be repeated on 2 different occasions with a gap of 48 hrs to see the 65% rise in its levels which would indicate that the pregnancy is viable and is still growing. If doubling of hcg is still seen , then a wait of another week is advisable before labelling the pregnancy as chemical pregnancy / an embryonic gestation , thereafter opting for termination of pregnancy.
I hope i have answered your query in detail,
wishing you good health a safe pregnancy,
regards