Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Horrible back pain, someone please help .

Horrible back pain, someone please help .

Patient: I have a sharp pain that started in my lower back a week ago and has since moved to my entire back . I am in the worst pain I’ve ever felt in my life . I can feel my pulse beating in my lower back . I can only find small relief with ice, heat and 800 mg of ibuprofen . even then the pain is still bad . Just horrible sharp pain that feels like someone is stabbing me over and over in the back .

Symptoms: horrible mind numbing pain in the entire back .

Doctor: Thank you for your question. Your lower back pain could have been caused by one of several etiologies. One of these cou ld be due a slipped intervertebral disc. This would result in a sharp, severe pain which would persist after it occurs. When this occurs, the spinal cord becomes compressed resulting in severe pain. We recommend that you see your doctor to be examined and have diagnostic testing performed of your lumbar spine. This would help determine the actually cause of your back pain. Treatment for this can include pain medication, physiotherapy, and bed rest. However, in severe cases, surgery is required.Thank you for choosing askthedoctor.com

Guest: You didn’t give me a chance to ask my question. I have been to my doctor but the pain persists. I have an extremely sharp pain starting in my left buttocks and moves down the back of my leg into my calf. I have to take 8 Ibuprofens to ease the pain and walk. When I wake up the pain is almost unbearable. Can’t sleep at night the pain is so bad. What can I do?