How can I ask a Doctor About Depression?

Patient

Q: For the last few months I have had trouble concentrating and remembering things. Many times I feel exhausted and like I am moving slowly through life. I'm falling behind in school. I am almost certain I am depressed, but I don't know how I would receive consultation from a doctor. I don't really have any reason for feeling depressed, it's just something that has been happening. I don't think seeing a therapist would help, but I think I might benefit from medication. Could I visit a doctor and describe my symptoms and receive medication? If so, how would I make an appointment?

Doctor

A:   Changes in your emotions, energy levels and activities may be caused by depression, however they can also be related to the hormonal changes at your age . It is possible that loss of mentrual blood and an improper diet may have reduced your hemoglobin levels. You should definitely visit your doctor or a walk in clinic as these changes have been affecting your performance at school would have long term implications for you. You can call to book an appointment with your family doctor, or you may go in person to a nearby walk in clinic to consult with a family doctor available at clinic. You may want to describe your symptoms, the time they started and progression to the current point. Your doctor may also inquire about your menstrual health, other disease problems, and dietary and other habits to help diagnose. Lab tests may be ordered to look for any abnormal results and for better diagnosis and treatment.

Changes in your emotions, energy levels and activities may be caused by depression, however they can also be related to the hormonal changes at your age . It is possible that loss of mentrual blood and an improper diet may have reduced your hemoglobin levels. You should definitely visit your doctor or a walk in clinic as these changes have been affecting your performance at school would have long term implications for you. You can call to book an appointment with your family doctor, or you may go in person to a nearby walk in clinic to consult with a family doctor available at clinic. You may want to describe your symptoms, the time they started and progression to the current point. Your doctor may also inquire about your menstrual health, other disease problems, and dietary and other habits to help diagnose. Lab tests may be ordered to look for any abnormal results and for better diagnosis and treatment.