How can I deal with depression without having to visit a doctor?

Q: Since I had 2 (common) surgeries 3 years ago,I feel sad everyday..especially when I'm at home...things get much much better when I'm out with friends...I sometimes feel so sad that I drink alcohol before I meet with someone so that I'm more fun...I'm really pessimistic and have very negative thoughts about everything..I'm so embarassed to talk to a psycologist face to face,I don't know why...even though I know that's the only way to feel healthy again..I rarely think of death...this thought was really intense last summer,now I've managed to control it...I just want to feel like a 21-year old person should feel....happy and energetic all the time...I push myself go out and meet new people and I must admit It has really helped me,but It's not enough...Are there any ways to get over depression without having to visit a doctor? thank you!! ps:sorry for my mistakes,I'm Greek :)

Symptoms:  Since sadness,insomnia(well,I barely sleep for 5 hours even though I feel really tired),lack of enthusiasm,too sensitive,rarely thinking of death