Ask The Doctor » Questions & Answers » How can I get my head to stop hurting

How can I get my head to stop hurting

Patient: What should I do if my bp 158/110, Is this something I should call 911, or will rest help?


Symptoms: Headache, neck and back pain, feverish

Doctor: Hi welcome to Ask The Doctor,For most cases of high blood pressure, there is no known cause. This is called primary hypertension. For others, certain medical conditions like kidney or heart conditions can cause high blood pressure. This is called secondary hypertension. There are many risk factors for high blood pressure. Some factors you can’t change. Others are modifiable based on your lifestyle. Risk factors you cannot change include: age: Older adults are at greater risk for high blood pressure. gender: Women over 65 are more likely to have higher blood pressure, and men under age 45 are more likely to have high blood pressure than women. race: African-Americans are more likely to have high blood pressure. family history: If your direct family members (parent or sibling) have high blood pressure, you are more at risk. Factors that are modifiable include: being overweight, not exercising enough, eating an unhealthy diet, consuming excess salt, drinking alcohol, smoking, sleep apnea, stress. Your primary care doctor will treat most cases of high blood pressure. You may require more appointments depending on your blood pressure levels.If your doctor thinks you have other cardiac conditions, you may be referred to a doctor who specializes in heart problems (a cardiologist). If you have a family history of high blood pressure, you should work with your doctor on reducing your risks. You should also take the following measures: Eat a healthy low-sodium diet. Exercise regularly. Try to maintain a healthy weight. Quit smoking. Be sure to take your medication for high blood pressure as directed and monitor your blood pressure at home with a monitoring device. Talk to your Doctor if you have any concerns about high blood pressure.Hope this helps you.


Ask The Doctor
Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

Dr. Suneel Sharman completed his residency in Family Medicine at the University of Toronto. He currently operates Infinity Health Centre, a walk-in-clinic in downtown Toronto.

View all posts