How can I rehab an old ankle injury?


Q: I sprained my ankle during football season last fall, and I did not effectively rehab it, so there scar tissue have formed around the ankle. I have looked online, but all the rehab suggestions are for recent injuries and not old ones. I was wondering if there is a way to get rid of old scar tissue at home or if it is necessary to see a chiropractor. I want to make sure that I fix my chronic ankle injury so that I can strengthen them both and avoid future injuries. Thank you.


A:   Typically the treatment of RICE: ie Rest, ice, compression bandage and elavaton should be started as soon as the ankle is injured. Following this it is recommended to slowly start rehab exercises like drawing alphabets in the air with the use of your toes then your enitre foot etc. These exercises make the joint less stiff and heal faster . However once scar tissue is formed it is difficult to remove that. However physical therapy ie physiotherapy would definately help to stregthen the muscles as well as ligaments around the joint , thus i advice you to consult a physitherapist for further in detailed management. All the best.

Related Q&A

Q: My Cervical Spinal MRI results state "c5-6 : desiccation, moderate disc narrowing w broad based central and righ...

Q: I'm a 26 y/o male. When I have sex, or masturbate, I get a horrible pain in my lower right abdomen. I can visually se...

Q: I have a raised brown spot in the side of my nose. I had asked a doctor a couple years ago and it was a lighter color...

Q: I have a cold..nasal fever...I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder and my anxiety is up today..m...

Q: I have had a skin condition/rash/unknown for almost a year now. I wake up with raised red welts mostly on my forearms...


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon