x
153 Physicians Online

Question:

How can I rehab an old ankle injury?

I sprained my ankle during football season last fall, and I did not effectively rehab it, so there scar tissue have formed around the ankle. I have looked online, but all the rehab suggestions are for recent injuries and not old ones. I was wondering if there is a way to get rid of old scar tissue at home or if it is necessary to see a chiropractor. I want to make sure that I fix my chronic ankle injury so that I can strengthen them both and avoid future injuries. Thank you.

Answer:

Typically the treatment of RICE: ie Rest, ice, compression bandage and elavaton should be started as soon as the ankle is injured. Following this it is recommended to slowly start rehab exercises like drawing alphabets in the air with the use of your toes then your enitre foot etc. These exercises make the joint less stiff and heal faster . However once scar tissue is formed it is difficult to remove that. However physical therapy ie physiotherapy would definately help to stregthen the muscles as well as ligaments around the joint , thus i advice you to consult a physitherapist for further in detailed management. All the best.

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Sign In to join in the conversation.