How can I tell if I have a sugar intolerance?

Q: How can I tell if I have a sugar intolerance? Things such as candy, cookies, cake, ice cream, etc., give me stomach cramps and diarrhea. Fruit doesn't though.
Sugar free candies do this to me too. I've noticed sugar free candies have a lot of sugar alcohol.

Thank you for your query at

Sugar/ Glucose intolerance is a term attributed to a pre-diabetic person, who on consumption of sugar experiences symptoms like:
Feeling very thirsty
Dry mouth
Extreme tiredness
Blurred vision
Frequent need to urinate
Loss of muscle mass.

What you described is more of an allergic response to sugar. Any kind of sugar you consume tends to produce stomach cramping and diarrhea. You can be lactose intolerant for which you need a consultation with a gastroenterologist. A Hydrogen Breath test will confirm the diagnosis. Unfortunately, there is no treatment and foods such as milk, cottage cheese, butter, ice cream, candies need to be avoided.

Please meet a gastroenterologist and get the test done.

Hope this was helpful.