How can I tell when it is time to take my child to the ER or wait to go see his regular Doctor?

Patient : My son is 3 years old and has been coughing and vomiting since he got home from school 15 hours ago. he is not contently vomiting just any time he eats or when we try to give him medicine or when he is coughing hard or a lot. I checked his rectal temp and it is at 100.2 now. We have gave him Dimetapp cold and cough 2 tsp every 4 hours over the last 12 hours. he has a runny nose and sneezing and Will Not blow his nose at all. what would be the best course in action?
Doctor :   Every parent is concerned when their child falls sick and its a tough decision whether to take your child to the ER or n ot. Most of the upper respiratory tract infections are caused by viruses and will run its course. I would suggest you to watch the symptoms of your child. If the fever does not decrease even on medication, vomiting gets worse, he has breathing difficulty or there is phlegm in cough, you need to consult your doctor or go to the ER.