How can we plan a health pregnancy?

Q: Dear doctor,

I am a married man, 29, and my wife is 27. We had married for 2 and a half years and we never did unprotected sex, we used condoms whenever we did intercourse. Recently we decided to have our first child and did unprotected sex three times. Since it was not my wife's ovulation days, she didnt get pregnant and at the moment she has her menstrual cycle. We have some concerns regarding the fact that we havent done any formal pre-conception checkups. Also my wife didn't take any folic acid supplements, and she is on a normal diet. Also she never went to a gynecologist.

The problem is that since she works as a teacher, she cannot get pregnant whenever she wants as she might end up jobless. Therefore we only have a week and a half left, before we can try again for pregnancy. If we delay further and she gets pregnant, she would be risking her job. Are there any quick and reliable methods to check if the womb is healthy enough before conception or are there any other supplements such as folic acid which she can take in the short term to reduce the risks of spinal and brain disorders in the baby?

We really appreciate your help.