How contagious is strep throat?

Q: My roommate has strep throat and hasn't started antibiotics. What are the chances that I am going to get it?

Symptoms:  My roommate has strep throat and is not taking antibiotics. What are the chances I will get it? I have a sore throat, cough and a sneeze, headache and overall just feel tired.

A:   Thank you for your question. Streptococcal pharyngitis (strep throat) is a highly contagious bacterial infectious disease. It can be spread by coming into contact with droplets of saliva from an infected person. It is possible that your current symptoms could have been contracted from your roommate. We recommend that you follow up with your doctor to be examined and have a rapid strep test performed to determine if you have strep throat. If you are diagnosed, you will likely be prescribed antibiotics to treat your infection as well.

Thank you for consulting