How could have gotten so intoxicated after just a few drinks?

Patient

Q: 27 year old male here, 225 lbs. I drink socially with friends regularily but last week something strange happened. I had 5 beer over 3 hours and basically blacked out. I made a complete fool of myself at a work event and my job is now in jeopardy. I had plenty to eat before going out and I just can't make sense of it. The next night, I had another event to go to and I had 5 beer, 2 shooters and half a vodka cooler in 2.5 hours and I was just fine... and I had just a bowl of soup all day! There is a history of diabetes in my family and I'm not ruling out my drink being spiked the first night as well.... please can someone help me with how I could have possibly gotten so crazy drunk so quickly off just a few beer? It's never happened to me before and I'm scared.

Doctor