Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > How Depression is Diagnosed

How Depression is Diagnosed

Patient: Is there a way to be diagnosed with depression, without having to be face to face with a doctor at a clinic? I suspect I may have it but I’m too scared to go to my local doctors.

Doctor: Depression is diagnosed based on your reported symptoms, signs that your doctor observes while interviewing you, your me dical and family history. There are certain listed criterias which doctors use to diagnose patients as suffering from depression. If you consider yourself to be suffering from depression ( having symptoms like feeling low, sleepiness all the time, lack of motivation and interest), I suggest that you visit your doctor for consultation, you need to have a face to face visit in order to be diagnosed accurately, and so that appropriate medications or psychotherapy can be prescribed.