How do doctors decide when a person needs an EpiPen?

Patient: I am wondering at what point do doctors decide if a patient with a food allergy needs an EpiPen or not? I ask this because I am allergic to peanuts and have been for around 18 years. After recently visiting an allergy clinic and going through an oral allergy test, I made it all the way to the end but discovered I had a hive on my body, so I gathered that I was still slightly allergic. In response to this I started eating a little bit of peanut butter everyday, no reactions, in the hopes that I build a stronger tolerance towards this allergy.So since I can eat a good amount of peanuts without getting a reaction, why is my allergy doctor still saying I need an EpiPen? I have never had a serious reaction to peanuts and don’t understand his reasoning. I am attempting to get employed with the army but they do not allow people with an EpiPen or those who are anaphylactic.

Symptoms: Very few hives

Doctor: HiThank you for the question.The EpiPen Auto-Injector is a disposable, prefilled automatic injection device that administers epinephrine in the event of a severe allergic reaction. EpiPen contains epinephrine, a medication that can help decrease your body’s allergic reaction by:-Relaxing the muscles in your airways to make breathing easier-Helping to reverse the rapid and dangerous decrease in blood pressure-Relaxing the muscles in the stomach, intestines and bladder. Discuss with your Doctor if you’re not ready to undergo the treatment. He may suggest something better.I hope this will help you. Take care.