Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > How do I know if I am bleeding too much with my period?

How do I know if I am bleeding too much with my period?

Patient: How do I know if I am bleeding too much with my period? And since I can’t get in to see my doctor what should I do?

Symptoms: Bleeding, cramps, fatigue, headache,

Doctor: Hello,An excessive bleeding during menstruation is termed as heavy when you land up changing 6-8 sanitary pads daily for 5-7 days. This is known as menorrhagia. Excessive blood loss can cause blood volume loss and anemia manifesting as headache, weakness, lethargy and drowsiness.You may start on antifibrinolytics like tranexamic acid thrice a day for 5 days to reduce or stop the bleeding further to control blood loss. Also you may keep yourself well hydrated to avoid such symptoms. Visit your physician n stoppage of bleeding or even if it doesn’t reduce in next 48 hrs for a possible D& C to stop bleeding and send the endometrium for histopathological examination to ascertain any progesterone deficiency .I hope i have answered you query ,wishing you good health,regards