How do I stop hurting myself after I get upset?

Patient: Ok, so my dad and I got into an argument and after, i tried to explain to my boyfriend what happened, and he is upset because i can’t come over to his house today. whenever i know that people are mad at me or disappointed in me, i feel like hurting myself and if i do end up actually doing it, i feel like i deserve it, and after im done, i feel fine. my question is how do i stop feeling like this and how do i just let go of the frustration without causing myself more pain?

Doctor: You should try to keep yourself occupied during these difficult times by doing something that will take your mind off wh atever is upsetting you. This can be anything like doing housework, go for a walk , have a shower, hit a cushion !! If you do this then you should be able to calm yourself down.  You may also take a few deep breaths and go for a quick short run just to calm yourself down. Routine practice of meditation and yoga can help boost your confidence. If this does not seem to work, you may also opt for a psychotherapy or behaviour therapy, that may help you deal with such situations.You should try to keep yourself occupied during these difficult times by doing something that will take your mind off whatever is upsetting you. This can be anything like doing housework, go for a walk , have a shower, hit a cushion !! If you do this then you should be able to calm yourself down.  You may also take a few deep breaths and go for a quick short run just to calm yourself down. Routine practice of meditation and yoga can help boost your confidence. If this does not seem to work, you may also opt for a psychotherapy or behaviour therapy, that may help you deal with such situations.