How does abortion effect the mothers psychological health?

Patient

Q: How does abortion effect the mothers psychological health? Are the problems long term, or short term?

Doctor

An abortion can lead to physical and mental complications in the woman undergoing it..
The mental agony is indeed difficult to handle and console.
It can lead to complications like denial, failure to come back to reality that she is no more pregnant, depression of losing a child,post-traumatic stress disorder due to recall of events related to abortion, psychosis, mania,and even suicidal tendencies.
Women go into a very anxious state and personality changes also happen.
It is indeed important to counsel the patient before and after the abortion and help her understand the reality and help her in conceiving again if possible.
Also, most of the woman need antidepressant medications for a short or long time.

Hope this helped.