How does obesity cause diabetes?

Patient: Because i am obese should i be worried about having or getting diabetes?

Doctor: Yes, there is a fair chance you will have diabetes. Although diabetes has a genetic component, obesity also plays a majo r role. Insulin functions as a hormone that facilitates transport of glucose (sugar) into cells, and thereby, its usage. In obesity, insulin resistance is a complication hence sugar will remain in the blood, unable to get into cells. If left untreated, it will lead to diabetes; high levels of sugar in blood can lead to blockage of blood vessels in vital organs (kidneys, eyes, heart, brain, etc). Moderate exercise will help a lot in improving insulin resistance; if coupled with dietary modifications, the beneficial effects are numerous, which includes lowering of blood pressure. I do hope this helps and take care always.