How does Plaquenil work?

Patient

Q: I have suffered from a undiagnosed disease for 4 and a half years. It all started in my toes and feet. within the first year it spread to my fingers and hands...
My toes would turn bright red, and a little swollen...they would burn so bad it felt like boiling water was poured on them. The flair ups could last a few days to a few weeks to a few months. It was the most extreme pain I ever felt. My leg muscles are now very weak and both my big toes are numb.
About 9 months ago I was started on Plaquenil, but I do not have Maleria, Rheumatoid Arthritis, or Lumpis.... They ruled out Neuropthoy, Lime Disease, Ciliac(sp) disease. The Plaquenil has reduced the flair-ups a lot. But still no one can tell me what I have.
The most scary part of all is my 6 year old daughter toes are now doing the same thing.
We are guessing on what it could be...so I am starting to look at another point of view...What diseases will Plaquenil work for? and what dose it doing in my body?
Maybe if I see what it is fixing...we can figure out what is going wrong...
Please Help
Desperate in CA

Doctor