Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > How effective is Birth control and the morning after pill

How effective is Birth control and the morning after pill

Patient: My girlfriend is on birth control and has been taking that daily for a while and today a condom broke and in less than half an hour she took a morning after pill. How worried should we be of pregnancy?

Doctor: Hello,If she has already been on birth control pill regularly , then she is well protected as there has been no ovula tion during the cycle which has been taken care of by the pills. In absence of ovum, there cannot be any pregnancy. However if she has taken morning after pill as emergency contraception as well then it is a double protection indeed and her chances of pregnancy are negligible. She should get a withdrawal bleed within 7 days , but if she is still on active pills then it may be delayed and the bleeding may be scanty.Ideally she should stop her pill pack , for allowing the withdrawal bleed to occur and start a fresh pack from day 2 of menses again.I hope i have answered your query in detail,wishing you both safe sexual practices,regards