How far does the blood relation go.

Patient

Q: I'm not sure if this will be a question that you will be able to answer... If not, that is completely fine. It's a weird question. When does blood relation stop between two people? I've read a lot about it, and a friend of mine has a different opinion than me on the issue. If two people are 6th cousins, or 3rd cousins once removed, how are we to figure out if there is still blood relation there???? Or if it's too far down the line for blood relation to exist??

Doctor

A:   Thank you for writing to us.

This question is difficult to answer and it depends on how close you are to the people in between. If you are very close to the people in between, then you may have a problem with the blood relation thing. And also, the question you are asking has more legal implications than anything else.

You may need to talk to a Legal expert about it. Medically speaking, you do not seem to have any problem. I think that you should be fine with someone who is your 6th cousin.

But, to be on the safe side, check that you have no recessive genes that spread diseases. This will prevent getting the genes together and not cause too serious problems in the future. Hope this helps you.

All the best.