Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > How likely is it to be pregnant even if you get a period?

How likely is it to be pregnant even if you get a period?

Patient: Ever since April I have started getting bloated, sometimes to the point where I have abdominal pain (usually the week or two prior to my period). I have gotten my period April, May, June and most recently July 2nd-July7th. The blood is bright red, occasional clots and fairly normal/heavier flow like I have always had. However the bloating got me worried and I read on the internet that it is possible to have normal periods throughout pregnancy. I do have anxiety and self-diagnose quite often. In April I thought my nipples seemed darker/larger but this could have been in my head because they are back to normal now. I have switched birth control and took a month or two off of it inbetween the switch.My question is, how likely is it to get a normal period during pregnancy with no other noticeable symptoms? (No breast growth, no cravings other than usual ones, no morning sickness). I also drink quite often.

Doctor: Having a period regularly and yet being pregnant is really very unlikely. Moreover if you are not even having pregnancy symptoms and are on birth control. Implantation bleeding is seen in some women who are pregnant at the time of the expected period but is characteristically lighter, reddish brown or light pink in color and is easily recognized as different than a period.However whenever in doubt it easier to take a home pregnancy test than stressing about the possibility of a pregnancy.Home pregnancy tests work by detecting the presence of the pregnancy hormone hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) in your urine. You should wait at least one day after your missed period before taking a home pregnancy test, although waiting a week is considered best.Most home urine tests are similar in principle however there are certain differences in how you must do the test such as the method of collecting the urine, the length of time you need to urinate on the stick for and the symbols used to indicate whether you’re pregnant or not. It is important to follow manufacturers’ instructions as specifics may vary for each pregnancy test kit,For more accurate results test first thing in the morning and give the kit a few minutes to work. Most women are able to take the test themselves without any hassles.Hope with this information you shall stop stressing about the likelihood of a pregnancy.