How long can my dad live? He has one kidney,

Patient: How long can my dad live? He has one kidney, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, is overweight, and eats fast food with diet soda. Every day. He was at 50% kidney function around Thanksgiving. Put on lasix. Acting like every thing is fine. Is it? I really dont think so, and I want to try to prepare myself for reality, not what might be. All of my aunts are nurses, and they are freaking out.

Doctor: Hello,Welcome to ATD.Thank you for the query.I would like to let you know that one kidney is not a problem at all , its the kidney function [serum creatinine] that matters.Diabetes, hypertension, being overweight and declining kidney function along with poor lifestyle definitely reduces life expectancy.Get your dad properly checked up by a physician, motivate him to follow a healthy lifestyle and take his medicines regularly, and you never know he can be with you for far more years.Hope this helps. Take care.