How long can my dad live? He has one kidney,

Patient

Q: How long can my dad live? He has one kidney, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, is overweight, and eats fast food with diet soda. Every day. He was at 50% kidney function around Thanksgiving. Put on lasix. Acting like every thing is fine. Is it? I really dont think so, and I want to try to prepare myself for reality, not what might be. All of my aunts are nurses, and they are freaking out.

Doctor

Welcome to ATD.Thank you for the query.

I would like to let you know that one kidney is not a problem at all, its the kidney function [serum creatinine] that matters.
Diabetes, hypertension, being overweight and declining kidney function along with poor lifestyle definitely reduces life expectancy.
Get your dad properly checked up by a physician, motivate him to follow a healthy lifestyle and take his medicines regularly, and you never know he can be with you for far more years.

Hope this helps. Take care.