Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > How long does it take to cure Strep throat?

How long does it take to cure Strep throat?

Patient: I was diagnosed with strep throat on Monday. I was put on to keflex and today, Friday I was not better I still had a very bad throat ache and swollen lymph node. The doctor told me it should have helped. Doctor switched the medicine to Augumentin. I started that just today. I wanted to know if I am contagious until after 24 hours or not?

Doctor: Once treated with antibiotics, the spread of the bacteria stops within 24 hours. However I would advise to use precautio ns to further reduce the spread of the bacteria. These include making sure that you cover your mouth while coughing/sneezing and washing your hands frequently. I hope this helps, take care.