Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > How long for my hormones to get back to normal after I quit birth control pills?

How long for my hormones to get back to normal after I quit birth control pills?

Patient: I’ve been on ortho-tricycline for 18 years and just stopped a month ago. I got some blood work done and my hormones are all off. My low levels are: estrogen, tyrosine, tryptophan and B12. My high levels are: testosterone, pregnenolone, and DHEA. Could this be related to bcp? How long does it take for hormones level to return to normal after quitting bcp?

Doctor: The affected hormonal balance seems to be associated with the use of birth control pills. However with the resumption of ovulation and regular menstrual cycles, which may take up to 3 months or even more in some women, the hormone levels may get back to normal.

Guest: I also have the same issue. I was on cilest for 8 years and came off nearly 6 months ago and have only had a withdrawal bleed and no period since I am just wondering can it be normal to take this long for my periods to become regular again?