Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > How long shot lasts in your system

How long shot lasts in your system

Patient: I GOT A ALLERGY SHOT MONDAY AND HAD TO GO TO ER YESTERDAY BECAUSE I STARTED ITCHING AND I CALLED MY ALERGIST TODAY AND TOLD HIM I WASNT TAKING THE SHOTS ANYMOREI FORGOT TO ASK HIM HOW LONG THE SHOT THEY GAVE ME STAYS IN MY SYSTEMSO MY QUESTION IS HOW LONG IS IT GOING TO BE IN MY SYSTEM UNTIL ITS GONE AND SHOULD I STILL CARRY THE EPI PEN THEY GAVE ME

Symptoms: Itching

Doctor: Thank you for writing to us.The half-life of epinephrine in the blood is 2 to 3 minutes. A drug will almost complete ly disappear from the body in 4 to 5 half-lives. Thus, I do not expect the drug to stay in the body for longer than an hour.Also, it is always better to carry an EpiPen as you do not know when you will get another reaction. It will also help when people want to give you an injection wen you have an allergy.Hope this helps you. All the best.