How long should I wait after stopping the pill to get pregnant?

Patient

Q: I've been taking Loestrin FE for over a year now and I'm looking at trying to get pregnant in about a year. Is there a period of time I should wait after stopping the pill before trying to get pregnant as to avoid any possiblity of birth defects?

Doctor

A:   That is a good question. Any hormones from the pill should be out of your system within 24 hours.  When you decide that attempting to conceive is right for you, you can start trying the same week you stop the pill.