How long should I wait to weight lift after broken neck?

Q: Hi, I broke my neck 5 months ago. My neurosurgeon said I had to wear a halo brace for 3 months then one month with a cervical collar to get me used to moving my neck again. I had the brace for one extra month (4 months) and just got out of my one month brace. I was wondering how long I should wait to weight lift again? Not extreme lifting, just a couple of times a week. I feel fine but I want to make sure. Thanks.

A:   Typically, a repeat x-ray is done to assess the injured area for signs of healing. Given that 5 months have elapsed, that is usually enough time to allow complete healing. You may return to full activity including weight lifting.