How long should I wear the brace for my dislocated shoulder?

Q: Dislocatied shoulder how long wear brace , how long before trying to move it ?

A:   Generally, if your shoulder is wrenched upward and backward, you may dislocate it out of its socket .Basically now, try to avoid shoulder straining movements and activities that could potentially produce a new dislocation and wear the brace for three weeks. You can wear a sling, If a sling is not available, rig one by tying a long piece of cloth in a circle (a bed sheet or towel may do nicely). A pillow placed between the arm and body may also help support the injured shoulder. After a period of immobilization (usually a few weeks), slowly and gradually begin to increase the range of motion at the shoulder joint. This helps to preserve natural movement and lessen the risk of recurrent dislocation which is your particular case here. When good progress is made with range of motion, strengthening exercises may be added to help you to return to full function. According to the current medical literature, the recurrence rate for shoulder instability is highly dependent on the age of the patient. Nonoperative care should be performed first before entertaining the thought of surgery. Most patients are able to rehabilitate their shoulder with rest and physical therapy. Numerous studies have shown the increased likelihood of traumatic glenohumeral  arthritis in patients with multiple shoulder dislocations. Operative care may consist of both open or arthroscopic treatment of the cause of instability, and of course a Rehabilitation program after surgery to control pain, limitation and regain full function.