Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > How long should you have severe diarrhea (6 or more

How long should you have severe diarrhea (6 or more

Patient: How long should you have severe diarrhea (6 or more times a day, completely loose whether or not I’ve eaten) before you need to go see a doctor? Taking Pepto which helps with the nausea, but not the diarrhea, and it’s been going on since Saturday afternoon.

Doctor: Welcome to Ask The Doctor.We are here to help you.It seems you have developed Acute Infective Diarrhea.Usually i t responds to treatment with in 5 days of antibiotics like Ofloxacin and Ornidazole.I also add a combination of Pantoprazole and Domperidone to my patients.Probiotics containing Lactobacillus helps a lot.Maintain proper hydration.Once you recover from acute infection, your digestive system will start working normally.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy