How long to fight a sinus infection without antibiotics?

Patient

Q: How long will it take for your own immune system to overcome a sinus infection without the help of antibiotics? I am 62 and is good health. I have been taking otc sinus and flu remedies that address the symptoms, but I seem to be getting worse.

Symptoms:  Coughing, sneezing, nasel blockage, draining into the throat causing a sore throat, head ache, intermittent fever
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. In normal circumstances, sinus infections caused by bacteria can resolve in about 2 weeks without complication. The concern with this is that the sinus are very sensitive and infections can become very severe if they are not treated promptly. We recommend that you have your doctor examine your infection to determine if symptomatic treatment will be suffice, or if you indeed need antibiotic treatment. We hope you feel better soon.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com