How Long to Wait on Birth Control

Patient

Q: My Fiance started taking birth control about a month ago right after her period and then had a period while on it. we wanted to know when it was safe to have un-protected sex

Doctor

A:   It is safe to have unprotected sex after atleast the first 7 active pills have been taken because the timing of the ovulation may differ and thereby increasing the risk for pregnancy. But now as she has already completed her first pack and also had her menses it is safe to have unprotected sex. But you should remember that the efficiency of the pills is 99% for prevention of conception, so may want to use condoms or any extra protection atleast around her ovulation period for maximum results.

It is safe to have unprotected sex after atleast the first 7 active pills have been taken because the timing of the ovulation may differ and thereby increasing the risk for pregnancy. But now as she has already completed her first pack and also had her menses it is safe to have unprotected sex. But you should remember that the efficiency of the pills is 99% for prevention of conception, so may want to use condoms or any extra protection atleast around her ovulation period for maximum results.