Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > How long will I be contagious from a sore throat?

How long will I be contagious from a sore throat?

Patient: I had a sore throat and burning chestfor a week. I was also dizzy and weak. I took all the precautions I knew. I coughed up all the phlem I could. Now I feel better but I still feel a little weak and I have problems tasting or smelling things. I have to travel in a few days.. Am I still contafious??

Doctor: By far, the most common cause of sore throat is any one of a large number of viruses, none of which are treatable with a ntibiotics. However, if the sore throat is due to a bacterial infection, you will no longer be contagious after 24 hours of antibiotics. For viral sore throat, you will no longer be contagious once you have been fever free for 24 to 48 hours.