Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > How many bicycle crunches does it take to burn 1

How many bicycle crunches does it take to burn 1

Patient: Hi, i’m writing a health & fitness report and i need an accurate number of how many bicycle crunches does it take for an 80 lb 28 year old female to burn 1 calorie, i.e. is it 5, 6 or 7 bicycle crunches that burn 1 calorie for an 80 lb 28 year old female performing them. Also, how many steps walking backwards does it take for an 80 lb 28 year old female to burn 100 calorie’s. Thankyou for your help and kind regards,Kelly.

Doctor: Hello,Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.comI understand your concern.As far as bicycle crunches are conc erned for approximately 80 lb female, 6 crunches will be required for burning 1 calorie.You won’t get any exact statistic on walking backwards, because no one will ever keep walking backwards till 100 calorie is burnt. However around 10 minutes of brisk walking will be required to burn 100 calories.Hope this was helpful,Regards.

Patient: Hi, thankyou for your reply and help. I have been told that an 80 1b 27 year old female can burn 30 calories for every 100 steps walking backwards. Is this a correct value. I need an accurate number of the calories burnt for a health & fitness report i’m writing up. Also, is it correct that walking backwards burns twice as many calories as walking forwards for the same amount of steps & regardless of the weight of the person. Thankyou for your help and kind regards,
Kelly.

Doctor: These are all based on assumptions. Yes people burn more calories while walking backwards but the exact value can’t be predicted. 30-35 calories for every 100 steps is an rough estimate.

Patient: Hi, thankyou for your reply and help. I’m writing up a health & fitness report, and i need an accurate & correct value for how many calories an 80lb 28 year old female burns when walking backwards 100 steps. Additionally, does the stride length when walking backwards result in more calories burnt, or can even small steps when walking backwards result in the same amount of calories burnt as longer stride lengths. Also, do people at a heavier weight burn more calories walking backwards than people at a lower weight burn when walking backwards. Fianlly, i need to know if it is correct that walking backwards burns twice as many calories as walking forwards for the same amount of steps. Thankyou for your help and kind regards,
Kelly.

Doctor: No the stride length doesn’t really make a difference.
Yes, heavier weight people burn more calories than lower weight people while walking backwards. Also,
can you share a link where ” walking backwards ” is recommended as an exercise for losing weight? These exact numbers are mentioned nowhere.

Patient: Hi, thankyou for your reply and help. I need an accurate & correct value for the number of calories burnt for an 80lb 28 year old female walking 100 steps backwards, for a health and fitness report im preparing. I have included the links below for you containing the information that it is believed walking backwards burns twice as many calories as walking forwards for the same amount of steps:
http://www.chatelaine.com/health/fitness/benefits-of-running-backwards/
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/delliam/view/benefits-of-walking-jogging-backwards-120899
Thankyou for your help and kind regards,
Kelly.

Doctor: If you walk around 100 steps backward you will burn close to 100-150 calories approximately. Arbitrarily you can consider 125 as the fixed number.

Patient: Hi, thankyou for your reply and help. Is it an accurate & correct value that an 80 lb 28 year old female burns 100 calories when walking backwards 100 steps. I need to know a correct & exact value for the health and fitness report i’m preparing. You mentioned before in a previous message that an 80lb 28 year old female burns 100 calories when walking backwards 100 steps. Which value is correct, is it 30 calories or 100 calories that are burnt for an 80lb 28 year old female walking backwards 100 steps. Also, if the stride length when walking backwards is larger/ longer are 100 calories burnt compared to if the stride length is shorter with only 30 – 35 calories being burnt. Or if the stride length is shorter, are less calories burnt and if so by how many. Thankyou for your help and kind regards,
Kelly.

Doctor: Yes approximately 100 calories will be burnt if you walk 100 steps backwards.
The stride length doesn’t matter.

Patient: Hi, thankyou for your reply and help. Is it correct & accurate that an 80 lb 28 year old female burns 100 calories when walking backwards 100 steps, or is it only 30 calories burnt when walking backwards 100 steps. Also, are 100 calories only burnt when walking backwards 100 steps for a person at a heavier weight (i.e heavier than 80lbs.) Thanks and kind regards,
Kelly.

Doctor: Yes around 50 calories will be burnt while walking backwards.

Patient: Hi, thankyou for your reply and help with my queries. Thanks again and kind regards,
Kelly.

Doctor: Thanks a lot! I will be glas to help you in future.