How much caffeine is too much to have in a day?

Patient

Q: How much coffee is too much in a day? I like my espresso but am wondering if my intake is healthy?

Symptoms:  None just curious
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. It is recommend to not consume more than 400 mg of caffeine per day. In a single espresso, there is about 200-220 mg of caffeine. Therefore, it would be wise not to consume more than two espressos over the course of the day. Increased caffeine intake beyond 400 mg can lead to increased heart rate, irritability, and can affect your ability to sleep. We hope this information helps.

Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com