How much of a chance of pregnancy right after stopping depo provera?

Q: My boyfriend and i had sex after i stopped using the depo provera shot. How much of a chance of pregnancy right after stopping depo provera?

Symptoms:  sore breasts, fatigue, swollen gums.

A:   Thank you for your query.
Depo provera provides protection against pregnancy for upto 14 weeks, although it is often advised to take the shot once in 12 weeks to be on the safer side. With depo provera you would become pregnant as soon as three to four months after the last shot. However for some women it would take up to a year or two to conceive after they stop using this type contraception. The response to this drug varies from one woman to another. Therefore if it has been more than 3 to 4 months past your last shot the chances a pregnancy with unprotected sex are there.
Hope that answers your query. Have a good day.