Ask The Doctor » Questions & Answers » How much soda or pop to drink a day?

How much soda or pop to drink a day?

Patient: I drink a 500 ml bottle of coca cola or pepsi almost every day and sometimes more than that, some days as much as 1 liter but not all at the same meal. Is this safe for my health? I have been doing this for several years and i still do not have any problems. Is it better to drink Sprite or maybe coca cola zero?

Doctor: Certain studies conducted on animals have shown that long term consumption of coca-cola, pepsi or sprite caused i) an in ncrease in body weight in the animals, ii) increase of the incidence in malignant mammary tumors iii) increase in the incidence of exocrine ademonas of the pancreas in both male and female breeders and offspring and iv) increased incidence of pancreatic islet cell carcinomas. On the basis of the results of this study, I would strong discourage excessive consumption of regular soft-drinks, in particular for children and adolescents.

View all posts