x
150 Physicians Online

Question:

How much time does it take to recover from an acute subdural hematoma surgery?

Morning Doc, I recently underwent acute sub dural hematoma surgery left frontal one month ago by using Burr hole drainage.Surgery was successful and I was discharged home after 2 weeks.I used to be a heavy smoker I started smoking from the 3 week of post surgery.Can I smoke does it effect any-kind to my surgery?It's 5 week now I'm getting light pain in the left-back side of the head.I used to have double vision before surgery but after surgery in 3 weeks it got cleared.But I feel dizzy.How much time it takes to recover from that?Can I start my daily activities?I can still feel slight tingling in my right leg and arm how much time it takes to recover from that?And my movement of neck is medium.When Can I have sex with my wife?How much more time it takes for me to become normal?

Answer:

The recovery time depends on the severity of the initial injury. Many people recover without any residual effects, some may be required to take anticonvulsant medication to prevent seizures, which can begin several years after the original trauma. Short-term memory problems, anxiety, headaches or amnesia may also occur for a period of time. Recovery usually takes place within the first 6 months after the initial injury in an adult, while a child's recovery time is usually quicker. A subdural hematoma is the result of bleeding between the brain's surface and its outer covering, is usually classified as acute, subacute or chronic and is frequently the result of a serious blow to the head. However, it may occur with a minor head injury, especially in the very young and in the elderly. An acute subdural hematoma is a life-threatening event and more likely to cause permanent damage to the brain because the bleeding occurs rapidly, causing sudden and intense pressure on the brain. The best way to treat a subdural hematoma is to avoid having one. Always wear a helmet when playing sports, bicycling, horseback riding or any other activity that could result in a head injury. Remember to use your seat belt, which reduces the chances of receiving a head injury in an automobile accident, and if you have kids always buckle your children in with age and weight appropriate car seats and belts.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA