Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > How soon after starting Birth Control am I protected

How soon after starting Birth Control am I protected

Patient: I just started on ortho tricyclen lo, and was on day 6 of my first pack. I had sex about 11:30 pm and I usually take the pill at about 6:30 am. My boyfriend and I didn’t use a condom, but we had to stop and he wasn’t that close to coming. But we did have condom-protected sex about an hour before the unprotected, where he did come, so there could still be sperm in his pre-cum. Am I protected by the pill even though technically I didn’t wait 7 days, but was just about 6 hours away from my 7th pill?

Doctor: According to the monograph of most birth control pills,  protection from pregnancy can start as soon as seven days after r taking the birth control pill assuming it was taken daily and the same time every day.  However, from a practical stand point, it is safer to assume that full protection will not begin till one full pack is completed.This is why I often advice women in my practice to use a back up method of birth control during the first month of starting the pill.If your cycle does not arrive, please do a pregnancy test.